Tuesday, March 23, 2004

GRADUATIONS AND FLASHES OVERLOADED WITH ELECTION FEVER

Hah! My sister finally graduated from High School and I was the designated photographer and home video woman for this momentous occasion in my sister’s life. It wasn’t so bad, I got back to see my old alma mater and discovered that the church still looks the same; the difference now is that we have better lighting in the room. After the graduation ceremony all hell broke loose inside the Church, kids were screaming and calling out for their barkadas to have that once in a lifetime group picture that will seal the moment of graduation for posterity. It was hilarious even. You’d think that these kids have never been photographed in their lives! But all in all, it was okay.

I was sorting out some of my old papers and I came across some of my research materials in High School when I did a paper about Stoicism as a philosophy And some quotes are still meaningful to me now as they did before almost 5 years ago. Here’s one:

“If you work at that which is before you, following right reason seriously, vigorously, calmly without allowing anything else to distract you, I keeping your divine part pure, as if you might be bound to give it back immediately; if you hold to this, keeping nothing, fearing nothing, but satisfied with your present activity according to nature…you will be happy. And there is no man who is able to prevent this.”
Bull’s Eye!

After Graduation we went to this Hotel in hope that we could eat in one of its Italian Restaurants and who did we come across unexpectedly? A “famous” actor who’s now running for Senator; he used to have a rift with a former President’s son and was recently head of a Board that concerns itself with things of “Pirated” nature. Hak. Hak. He looked tired and it never occurred to me seeing all the bodyguards and big cars near the hotel that it might just possibly be about the Election Campaigns! I must have been “recovering” from all the flashes of my camera. Now I believe the saying that though you may think of yourself as a “Western Fan” of Hollywood stars and all, an artista will always be an artista. You’ll ask yourself later on why the hell did I even do that? Anyway I told my Ma and Pa jokingly that we shouldn’t vote for “HIM” as a Senator since he didn’t even give us a kiss. Hah! A hand shake is something I can get from the Tambays in every corner of the Philippines. Anyways, we’ll see if he will be addressed as his father is being addressed now come Election Day.

FLYERS AND SCREAMERS
It turned out that the President GMA, along with her Senatorial Slate and Bodyguards were in town to campaign. Ilongga Miriam Defensor-Santiago and Ilonggo Franklin Drilon were there. When I turned on the live broadcast, the President was already starting her speech. Too bad I wasn’t able to hear Miriam speak. My father was surprised that GMA could speak almost perfect Ilonggo---if I remember correctly, in one TV Documentary about GMA, it was mentioned that she speaks several Filipino languages and dialects perfectly. If anybody there doubts that there are other “languages” in the Philippines besides Tagalog and English---you’ve guessed wrong. My professor in U.P. said that it is only our colonial mentality that bars our acknowledgement of the fact that we actually do have languages of our own. Ignorance has never been bliss.

CHURCHES AND PRAYERS
If you’re confronted or reminded of something everyday you either tend to be oblivious about it or be aware of it. Everyday when I go to school, I pass by 4 Churches and on the school grounds another Church. I’m reminded of one quote by Seneca:
“We often want one thing and pray for another, not telling the truth even to the gods.”
Tumpak!

IF YOUR HEART CAN GIVE A ONE-LINER, WHAT WOULD IT BE?
“I loved not yet, yet I loved to love…I sought what I might love, loving to love.”
Ahahay!

CONTRADICTIONS AND DICTATIONS
Physical attractiveness has been defined as: “That which represents one’s conception of the ideal in appearance: that which gives the greatest degree of pleasure to the senses.”(Hatfield and Stretcher)
RECONCILE THIS WITH
“It is a sign of dull nature to occupy oneself deeply in matters that concern the body; for instance, to be over much occupied about exercise, about eating and drinking, about easing oneself, about sexual intercourse.” (Epictetus)

I prefer the latter one. It’s almost a statement for people with self-esteem issues and for people struggling with weight or excess pounds (HARK! The fat lady spills!). Count me in!

Can you see my excess fat making waves as I run to you? BWAHAHAHAHA! Fats rule! In the dining table, in the kitchen, in the hundred of fiesta menus in the Philippines….Vegetarians are still a breed unique to the Philippines. SLURP!

P.S. I finally saw a replay of Miriam making her speech….damn she’s convincing!
Ahahay!

No comments: